Did you know the Grinch isn’t a fictional character? He’s already out in full force this holiday season in San Diego County, and he certainly will not think twice about taking advantage of you. The holidays are supposed to be a joyous and relaxing time with family and loved ones, so don’t give the Grinch opportunity to put a damper on your month by considering these holiday safety tips:
Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
- Be constantly aware of your surroundings and valuables. Do not set your wallet, purse, or purchases on tables, counter tops or other surfaces outside of your immediate reach.
- Park in well-lit areas of parking lots, in close proximity to store entrances as possible.
- If you are leaving a shopping center at night, ask for an escort to your vehicle. Employees or security personnel are typically available to provide such services upon request.
- When leaving valuables in your car, secure purchases or other items in your trunk, or under a blanket so out of plain view.
- With the hustle and bustle of shopping mania, maintaining close awareness of your children can be even more challenging and requires more situational surveillance of surroundings.
At Home Holiday Safety Tips
- Keep presents/gifts out of sight of open-view windows.
- Ensure that boxes, especially those that housed electronic equipment, are broken down and placed out of view when disposing them. The key here is not advertising to passersby what new goodies you have in the house.
- Visiting the Electrical Safety Foundation’s website that provides a plethora of advice and tips on ensuring you don’t fall victim to fire and other hazards.
Of course, common sense and heightened vigilance go a long way in battling the criminal element. By considering these holiday safety tips, although they don’t represent an exhaustive list, you’ve taken a crucial step in ensuring you have a wonderful holiday.